Rhomboid Muscle Strain or Spasm Rehabilitation Exercises
You may do all of these exercises right away.
- Pectoralis stretch: Stand in a doorway or corner with
both arms on the wall slightly above your head. Slowly
lean forward until you feel a stretch in the front of
your shoulders. Hold 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
- Thoracic extension: While sitting in a chair, clasp
both arms behind your head. Gently arch backward and
look up toward the ceiling. Repeat 10 times. Do this
several times per day.
- Arm slides on wall: Sit or stand against a wall with your
elbows and wrists against the wall. Slowly slide your
arms upward as high as you can while keeping your elbows
and wrists against the wall. Do 3 sets of 10.
- Scapular squeezes: While sitting or standing with your
arms by your sides, squeeze your shoulder blades
together and hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
- Mid-trap exercise: Lie on your stomach on a firm surface
and place a folded pillow underneath your chest. Place
your arms out straight to your sides with your elbows
straight and thumbs toward the ceiling. Slowly raise
your arms toward the ceiling as you squeeze your
shoulder blades together. Lower slowly. Do 3 sets of
15. Progress to holding soup cans or small weights in your
- Thoracic stretch
- Sit on the floor with your legs out straight in front of
you. Hold your mid-thighs with your hands. Curl you
head and neck toward your belly button. Hold for a
count of 15. Repeat 3 times.
- To stretch your right upper back, point your right
elbow and shoulders forward while twisting your trunk
to the left. Hold for a count of 15. Repeat 3 times.
- To stretch your left upper back, point your left elbow
and shoulder forward while twisting your trunk to the
right. Hold for a count of 10. Repeat 3 times.
- Rowing exercise: Tie a piece of elastic tubing around an
immovable object and grasp the ends in each hand. Keep
your forearms vertical and your elbows at shoulder level
and bent to 90 degrees. Pull backward on the band and
squeeze your shoulder blades together. Repeat 10 times.
Do 3 sets.